Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Legacy

Well, I (and most of my family) made it through a very tough week. Sunday I told my Grandma goodbye. Monday was a very somber Valentine's day. Tuesday Grandma went to Heaven. Wednesday was Brock's 6th Birthday. Thursday was the Rosary. Friday was the Funeral. Saturday was Brock's Birthday Party. Talk about a huge roller coaster of emotions in just a few days! But as my emotions were consistenly inconsistent, there was one thing that was always there. Family. The funeral was very hard for me. I couldn't make it through any of the songs. My cousin Thomas sang them and was amazing. I don't know how he did it. Going to the cemetery was difficult as well. When we returned to Grandma's house, it wasn't like TV where everyone is quiet, stands in small groups, wearing black and having a small bite to eat. Nope. Not our family. We ordered pizza, migrated to the garage and started with a circle of about 8 around the folding table. Pretty soon, we were finding anything and everything to sit on and extending the circle into an oval the size of the whole garage. Nearly everyone had changed into shorts, flip flops and short sleeves. Drinks had been poured and a margarita bucket was found in the deep freezer. --Thanks Grandma!! :-) There was NOTHING quiet about this group. There were lots of smiles, and lots of laughter. There were 9 siblings/spouses, 13 cousins & cousins-in-law, and a few extended family members. This was Grandma's Legacy. WE, are Grandma's Legacy.
I can only hope when my life on earth is over, I can leave a legacy like Grandma. No, I don't intend on having three more kids! ;-) But a family filled with love and faith. (And perhaps one that can fill a garage??)


(This picture was taken on Thanksgiving evening 2010. Sadly, it only pictures the Aggie portion of our family, but I love this picture!)

No comments: