Monday, March 30, 2009

Are You Still My Friend?

This is the question my friend John asked me as I was driving home from my very first Bikram Yoga class.
90 minutes of Yoga he said...Heck yeah! I can do that! I danced for nearly 18 years of my life. I played tennis throughout junior high, high school and some college. Up until my pregnancies, I worked out and did step aerobics and kickboxing regularly! No problem!
John told me my first goal was to just STAY IN THE ROOM. I sort of chuckled, but knew he probably was telling me the truth, so I prepared myself for that. I'll just stay in the room. I'll do as much as I can and just hang in there till the end.
He also told me to bring a frozen water bottle...because it's HOT in there! Ok, so I'm not the biggest fan of heat, but I can hang. It's only 90 minutes.

Can anyone tell where I'm going here?
Well, let's set the stage for Lori's introduction to yoga!

I arrive ready for this! I check in, grab my mat, and my non-frozen water bottle (it's at least cool), my towel and head into the room.

HOLY COW!!! Ok, there's HOT, and there's ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE DEGREES WITH HUMIDITY!!!!!
Ok, Ok, Ok...just 90 minutes. You ready? Let's go through the 26 poses and I'll let you know how I ranked...





- Breathing...check!



- Backwards stretch...check! (I was a ballerina!)


- beginning of some squatting thing (head becomes very dizzy!!!! Had to lie down.)



- Up again Lori!!! You can do this!! Arms crossed - well, the sweat dripping off me like I've NEVER experienced before made this a little tricky. Ok, dizziness back...ok, nauseous...time to lay back down!!!!

SO, MY NON-FROZEN WATER BOTTLE IS PROBABLY ABOUT READY TO BOIL. YUMMMM...REFRESHING!



- yeah, didn't see this pose...I did see the back of my eyelids




- back up again! I can do it!! OK, MAYBE NOT!




- um, let's pretend I at least observed this one.



- still too nauesous to stand up



- the girl next to me totally rocked this pose!




- nope, don't remember it!




- my leg can do that?????




- please tell me you're joking. We (they) did this???
- the one and only pose I have mastered. The yoga style situps that followed...not so much.

- ok, the sweat on every inch of your body does not make it very conductive to "grab" anything. But at least I tried!


- dizziness setting back in...go back to that lying down pose...quick!!


- who knew lying on your stomach when you're hot, dizzy and queasy can actually make you feel WORSE!

- ok, they're FUNNY! I'd be laughing, but I think I'm actually too hot to laugh!


- didn't see it.



- nope!




- hahahahaha...oh yeah, I was still too hot to laugh.


- eyes closed again.


- I'm at least STILL IN THE ROOM! That was my goal, after all!




- sorry, not moving from this position


- don't remember this one



- looks easy, huh?




- just BREATHE! Who knew breathing could actually be exhausting?!?!?!?!
BUT I MADE IT!!!! I LASTED 90 MINUTES IN THE HOTTEST ROOM I'VE EVER BEEN IN!
AND...would you believe the room actually gave me and the two other newbees a round of applause for lasting the whole time!?!?
A few more minutes of just lying there, trying to get the energy to stand and finally I exit from the room. Going from 105 degrees, to probably 75-80 degrees was some sort of shock! Immediately I felt more nauseous than I ever was in my first trimester with Aubree...and that was bad! I sat on the bench and knew it was time to move closer to a toilet. Got to the restroom and the wonderful instructor came in to check on her newbee! She brought me a gatorade and it totally helped the nauseousness go away. Nearly 10 minutes later I was finally ready to take my disgusting, dripping self home!
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT CLASS!!! :)
Hopefully I'll have a few blog updates with more comments like: "I made it through the first 7 with no break!" Or, "I finally got my leg to twist that way!".
Stay tuned...the more people I tell, the more I become accountable and the more likely I am to go.
SO, Yes, John...I'm still your friend! But you OWE me! ;)

1 comment:

Sara said...

Lori, that was too funny! I'm proud of you for staying - I've been doing yoga and pilates, but not the super-hot room stuff. Way to go, girl!