Monday, April 20, 2009

Birthday Trip!

Somewhere. That was all I could get out of Tom for nearly two weeks. We were going somewhere for my birthday. Because packing can be especially challenging to a girl, I was able to get the destination before we left home. We were going to South Padre Island for my birthday!It has been close to 9 years since I've been! That is showing the age of this now-30-year-old! (Spring Break my junior year at A&M with two of my very bestest friends!)
Tom had planned this to be a very nice and relaxing weekend! We had reservations at the best hotel on the island. I had an appointment pre-booked for a massage, manicure and pedicure for Saturday at the Blue Hairing. Everything else, was up to the birthday girl!
Since my nephew made an abrupt arrival on Thursday, it was not really out of the way to swing by Victoria before heading down South. After visiting, we set out to South Padre. With just about 3 hours left in our trip, the hotel called. They had "unforseeable problems" and needed to move us to a different hotel. I don't think so! They assured us the other hotel was "comparable". Tom thinks that's a bit funny since the Sheraton is the ONLY 4-Star hotel on the island. Tom went back and forth with the receptionist, then the manager who said he'd call us back in 10 minutes. Tom was quite the unhappy guest...and he did a great job of not taking "no" for an answer! :) About an hour and a half later, we arrived at the hotel...never hearing back from the manager and not knowing WHAT to expect when we got there! Checking in at the front desk, the receptionist said he needed to go check the "status" of our room. Nearly 10 minutes later he returned and without us giving any sort of story, he said our room was ready and we had been "upgraded" because it was my "birthday"! Well...funny how those things just seem to work out! Go from no room...to upgrade in an hour and a half.

The Infamous Hotel


The bellhop takes us to the room and upon opening it, gives a disturbed look and asks, did they give you BOTH 824 & 825? Nope. (That's a pretty dumb question - I'm thinking.) He tells us that this room is not ready and needs to go downstairs and check things out. He shows us the room and I cautiously peek inside. This is what we see:

I don't know about you...but if that is UPGRADED, I'd hate to see what the regular rooms look like! Call me picky...but I prefer sleeping on BEDs!

Turns out the upgrade consisted of both rooms. The "living" room, which we had the key to first, and the king suite next door. Once we had both keys, we were in business!

Hotel drama aside, we had a fabulous time! We walked the beach before heading to dinner that evening.


Saturday morning we went to the Blue Hairing (I just like the name!) and I had my first-ever massage! It was great. Afterwards, she told me I really needed to try and get one every two weeks...apparently I'm pretty messed up! I had my nails done up all pretty and pink afterwards but decided to skip my hair appointment. Tom was so good to me, waiting patiently (until I made HIM go get a massage too!) that I wanted to get out and about with my dear husband!

We did a bit of shopping and then decided to do some boogie boarding! Bud Light Lime + beach + waves + your significant other = GREAT TIME! After we showered the sea water & sand off, we jumped in the hotel pool and enjoyed (really enjoyed) the swim up bar. I MUST have a hut, pool and swim up bar...and don't forget the bar tender in my "when I win the lottery" house!

That evening we headed out for appetizers and drinks then went back to relax in the hotel room! It truly was a perfect day!Sunday morning we slept in again! (Don't get a mom too used to this!!!) Headed out of S. Padre around 10:30 and were back home by 3:30. It was the best birthday ever! Hmmm, Tom did so good...what do I need to start planning for HIS 30-th birthday?? Feel free to leave me your ideas!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I keep meaning to leave a comment, but it seems something (or someone...hehe) keeps distracting me!

I LOVE Tom's getaway for your birthday! What a fun weekend!! I think you'll have a tough time topping it for him...but it can be done! At least you know where the bar is set now! I'm glad you guys had such an amazing time!