Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year, New Beginnings

Happy New Year to everyone!
This year I'm making resolutions that are more likely to be kept. The whole "lose weight" resolution that nearly EVERYONE makes just doesn't cut it anymore. Either 1) I should be whittled away to nothing now...or 2) I never manage to keep that resolution! or maybe there is 3)I lose but then manage to gain back to I can re-resolve to lose again next year!!! Whatever the case, this year will be different. Here is a sampling of my resolutions for 2009 (and as Brock would say: And Beyond!!)



1) Remember to stop and count my blessings every day! We tend to get caught up in the daily grind, and before we know it, something slips away, or we forget what things are really important in the first place. To help in this endeavor, I'm looking up to my friend Sara. (Yes, YOU Sara!) Your "Thankful Thursdays" are some of my most favorite postings to read. You're my inspiration to start some of my own! I've tried to think of a clever title, so I'm not completely stealing yours...but haven't got one just yet!






2) Spend more time focusing on me and Tom. Two kids and 10 years into our relationship, it's easy to put the kids first. They require so much time and attention. However, if you think about it, without "Tom and Lori" there is no "Brock and Aubree"! So, as Waylon would say: "Baby, it's time we got back, to the basics of love!"







3) Spend more time every day in prayer. During my maternity leave, I read a few books that really strengthened my relationship with God. I never thought of myself as a "bad prayerer" (that's probably not a word!) until I learned how to step up my prayers by a few notches! Now I find there's not really enough time to get all the prayers in I want to get in each day! Everywhere you turn, SOMEONE needs your prayers, and needs them badly. And for those who don't seem to "need" your prayers today, well...we need to pray for them so they don't "Need" our prayers tomorrow!



4) Chill out!! Who remembers anal Lori who likes things structured, tidy, planned, and organized neatly in an excel spreadsheet? Ok, so maybe she's still here, but we're taking all that DOWN a notch or two. Remember the "not enough time in the day" I mentioned in resolution #3? Yeah, that pretty much applies to everything! I'm learning to "go with the flow" a little more regularly and I've found out that you don't HAVE to have a clean house every day. When I look back at my life 10 years from now, I want to remember playing with my children. Making them laugh that hard belly-laugh that just cracks you up! Going to the park with my family or friends. Spending time with Tom and the wii fit and laughing at each other as we look totally ridiculous! Watching football with Tom and enjoying that I'm doing MUCH better in my bowl picks than he did. ;) You will likely never see my home in the pages of "Good Housekeeping", but you'll see a family full of love and laughter on my blog, in pictures, and in my memory.


Well, that's a start on my resolution list...but it's late, and I need to get off the computer in order to work on some of the resolutions listed above!

May you all have a wonderful and blessed 2009!

3 comments:

svara said...

what great resolutions! I'm going to steal a few for my new year as well!

Nana Paula said...

Really good choices, all of your resolutions. As I read them, I was reminded of a poem that I once cross stitched into a birth announcement for Paula R's first child:
“Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up, I’ve learned, to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby, and babies don’t keep.”

Author Unknown
No, babies don't keep, just like you didn't, or your siblings. The great joy is that one day they bring new babies home to be rocked and loved on, with many years of love, laughter, and sorrows in between!
For myself, I haven't come up with my New Years' Resolutions just yet, but they won't the be the tired, unfulfilled ones for me, either! Still thinking about it/them, but you can be sure my resolution will be one about the only important things...love and family!

Sara said...

Thanks for the nudge to keep the Thankful Thursdays coming! I need to be much better about posting those each week. I've really enjoyed keeping a blog for that very reason - I tend to forget all the really WONDERFUL things that happen daily around me in the midst of the 'busyness' of life. It was fun to sit and read back through all my blog entries over the last 8+ months (or however long I've been blogging). I feel incredibly blessed, and with a full heart I can honestly praise the Lord for all the marvelous things He has done and continues to do in our lives!
It's been a blast reading your blog - I've said it before, but especially watching Brock grow is like peeking a year into the future with Caleb! It's amazing how similar those two boys have been... :)