Sunday, June 21, 2009

Husband, Father, and So Much More

I dedicate today's post to Tom. He is an amazing father. I dare to say he's one of the very best dad's I've ever known. Before our kids even came into the world, I knew he would be a great dad. I remember going to HEB once and a small child was in line ahead of us. For whatever reason, Tom started singing the Blues Clues song to him. At the time, I hardly knew who "Blue" was! When our children came into the world, he was a natural. He knows how to work with children of all ages. Not just the age where they get fun and start to play with dad, but from day one Tom knew exactly how to hold them to calm thier cries. He knew exactly how to make them smile. He willingly took any night shift, diaper duty, bath time or play time. He can decipher most baby babble and generally always knows what it is they need or want. Granted, Miss Aubree is giving Tom (and me) a challenge, but it's a challenge he will rise above!

The kids love Tom so much. They love him for being here. They love him for comforting them. They love him for everything he is. And I love him for all the same reasons and more.

Tom, I appreciate the wonderful dad you are today and every day. The kids are genuinely lucky to have a father like you. I'm genuinely lucky to have a husband like you! I can hardly remember the last time I went grocery shopping. I am not sure I can recall the last time I washed bottles (and that happens EVERY night!). I am blessed to parent these children along side with you and hope that we can shape them into the people who will make their spouse just as lucky one day.

I found this and thought it couldn't be more accurate! I think about my dad today and how many times, even in the past year, he has been right there for me. Holding my hand when it needed to be held. Listening when I needed to talk. And always answering the phone for an out-of-the-blue..."What would daddy do?" request!

4 years: My Daddy can do anything!
7 years: My Dad knows a lot…a whole lot.
8 years: My father does not know quite everything.
12 years: Oh well, naturally Father does not know that either.
14 years: Oh, Father? He is hopelessly old-fashioned.
21 years: Oh, that man-he is out of date!
25 years: He knows a little bit about it, but not much.
30 years: I must find out what Dad thinks about it.
35 years: Before we decide, we will get Dad's idea first.
50 years: What would Dad have thought about that?
60 years: My Dad knew literally everything!
65 years: I wish I could talk it over with Dad once more.



I Love you Tom! And, I Love you Dad! Wishing you both a very happy Father's Day!

No comments: