Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Favorites

As a lot of you know, I got a fancy new DLSR for my birthday. I ended up with a Nikon D60 and have two lenses (so far). I don't have a clue what I'm doing, and I can't spell ISO yet, but I'm learning. I have a few pictures so far that I think are great! Of course, for all you more seasoned photographers, I welcome any critiques, tips, or general education on the digital world of photography!


Pointers on this one? I love the picture, but there's definitely a shadow.

My first experience with big time flashes...these pics were taken back to back, but the lighting is definitely different.


Just LOVE This one...I got lucky!! :)

Love this one too. My outdoor pics definitely turn out better.

And this one!
For those of you wondering: Who is that kid??? That's my pseudo-niece Chelsea. She's my sister-in-law (Cathy)'s neice. Also known as Carol's daughter. Carol lives here in San Antonio and coaches Brock's soccer team. We can't have Cathy in Texas, but we do enjoy her family!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh, I wish you lived here in Huntsville so that you could take the 'Intro to Digital Photography' class my company offers with me. I still haven't taken it, so I can't help you with ISO, lighting help, etc., but you should look into investing in Photoshop CS4 or Photoshop Elements (30-day trials of both on Adobe's site) for editing after the fact. Granted, I'm sure you know your fair share about these programs, but just figured I would throw it out there. It's amazing what kind of photo editing these programs can accomplish. Ok, enough of my advertising spiel. Editing or not, I still love all the pictures. :)

Sara said...

Can I get a WHOOP for Nikon dSLRs?? :) I LURVE MINE. (D80)
I'm excited to see more of your eye through the lens... you've done a great job so far! Photography is something that is best learned "on the job" - I have so much I want to learn, even though I feel like I've learned a ton in the last few years.
Just one tip for tonight - on the sweet shot of Tom and Aubree, with the shadows - in a situation like that where you have harsh shadows (often in the evening, sometimes in the middle of the day) try forcing a flash. It will fill in some light into the shadows. For photo editing in CS3/CS4 or Elements, you can adjust the 'fill flash' setting, but it never seems to be just right when you do that. It certainly does help, though.
(To know how to force a flash, and pretty much everything else for camera settings, USE THE MANUAL. Seriously. It will be your best friend and a great mentor.)

Sara said...

OK, I lied.
Another thought - the lighting/flash probably turned out differently on the two pics of you and your sibs because of spot metering....look it up....but that's just a guess. Either way, they turned out pretty good!